Thursday, March 1, 2012

There is no such thing as a free lunch

Even though studying abroad is a great experience, there are things that are quite important to notice when living far from your friends, family and well known culture.

This last month I have experience the classical adaptability crisis thing. Things like finding a job, making long lasting friends and even the evaluation system can make you feel like an alien in a world that you feel is not yours.

When English is not your first language, you may not sound as intelligent or funny as you are used to in your native language. This might sound as a silly thing, but after the months passes and you realize this is your new life, you kind I get tired of it.

The same thing happened to me with with the academic system. You know you have to adapt to a system that is not yours and you really do your best. But sometimes you inevitable get frustrated because you don't score the highest grades. With the grading system, it also happens that you feel you don't have complete information and so you might fail in little things and this process might be frustrating over time.

I don't want to make a drama out of it, but I think it is worthy to know that not all the experience is pleasant. The quarter system is also exhausting. There are weeks that you literally dot move from your chair or don't even have the chance to see the sunlight because the assignments keep you so busy. And this is what you wanted right?! A demanding program from where you can get as much knowledge as you can! And they really accomplish this goal! Hahahahaha. But this doesn't mean that you don't get tired!

I am a very organized person and I was not used to study until 3am every week. I though this wont happen to me, because I am very rigorous, but let me tell you it happens!!! Hahahaha

The thing is that I just wanted to keep you posted on these things that you usually don't have the chance to know from the programs websites or FAQ. sites.

The funny thing is that this might seem to be happening for a lot of my friends here, but no one speaks about it because everyone thinks is a "cultural shock". It's more natural than we think ;)

If you are considering to study abroad, try to keep a balance between your academic and personal life! And enjoy the whole experience!!!

No wonder why the Econ Department from the University is Chicago is well known from it's lemme: "there is no such thig as a free lunch"!

See you!

No comments:

Post a Comment