Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Studying abroad as a couple

In this time of admission release decisions and deciding on where to pursue your studies, there is a common question to many people... What if I have a couple? Do I bring her/him with me? What if we are both studying? Is that "too much"?

The life as an international student has its beauties and it's challenges. For me, coming as a couple has make things a lot easier and certainly more pleasant.

Me and my husband were admitted together in a set of programs to choose (this is more common than people usually think). So we decided to come to Chicago and study the same program, although with very different academic interests and professional paths. Is it too much? I think it depends on your own relation's dynamics, but here is the balance for me:

1. Leisure and company: you spend some time in recreational activities that favors your concentration, overall happiness and lessen the sense of frustration.

2. Shared experiences: the ability to share experiences, build team working and divide tasks (either at home or at school) is a relief.

3. Knowledge pool: specially if you take different courses, you get to know a little bit more about other areas of thinking and this maximizes your exposure.

4. Time management: there is so much stuff going on that you develop skills on how to manage your time according to your preferences. For me, being a whole rounded person and not solely a geek is a priority, but I know this might be controversial.

5. Dinner time!: having dinner together is one of the most pleasant moments in the day. I know having no one to talk to after school might be very stressful, even if you describe yourself as a very independent person.

I have personally enjoyed VERY MUCH coming as a couple. I think it has enhanced my capabilities as a persona and as a professional and it definitely has make the experience one of the greatest moments in my life. I am thankful for that.

That being said, there is a full range of alternatives on how to live your student life as a couple. Many people decide to have children abroad for several reasons.

In this regard, my experience (watching friends and peers) is that taking advantage of the numerous resources available through the university is often the wisest choice.

So if you are convinced about your relation! Give it a try and come together! It is a wonderful experience that tights you in!

1 comment:

  1. for one more usage so you'll want to research when it comes to offshore. abroad education consultants now we are unquestionably the most impressive not to mention top rated studying international consultancies found in India with higher visa self-confidence. we facilitate an individual in processing that f1 visa right for you in extremely much less time. in states practice a new knowledge about training colleges and in addition univerisity it's important to enables you to. overseas education consultants in hyderabad study abroad

    ReplyDelete